Browsing innocently in an online bookstore, looking for a copy of the TNIV Bible, I came across two remarkable and disconcerting editions - neither of which appeals!
TNIV STRIVE.THE BIBLE FOR MEN.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION. European Leather / Mahogany / Acorn
Strive is designed to help you live out your unique calling as God's man amid everyday affairs--family, work, friendships, church, personal interests, and finances. These are the things God uses to shape Christ's character in you, and to demonstrate it through you. This Bible speaks frankly and honestly about what it means to walk with valor in a culture that works against God's will and ways. Made for real-world use, Strive is down-to-earth and packed with spiritual insights. Features include: 100 "Myths" articles, 50 "Things You Should Know About" profiles, 200 "Downshift" notes, 200 "Knowing God" callouts, 300 "At Issue" notes, Book Introductions, Topical Index and Articles.
TNIV TRUE IDENTITY BIBLE FOR WOMEN
TNIV - Help for women living in today's world. Whether you're starting a new job or a new relationship, whether you're going back to school, thinking about moving, or facing your first - or fifth pregnancy, TRUE IDENTITY helps you find strength, reassurance and guidance through your relationship with God and His Word. The special features in this Bible are designed to help you nurture a passionate, deeply rooted faith and express that dynamic faith in this world.
Applying God's Word to the different and sometimes difficult circumstances of your life, TRUE IDENTITY will help you not only get to know God for who He really is, but yourself as well -- who you are and whose you are.
- 100 Myths - articles describe a commonly believed myth that the world tell you is true, then refutes the lie with the truth of God's Word
- 30 "ask me anything" profiles are like one-on-one conversations with the women of the Bible. In an interview format, you'll discover how each woman dealt with the issues in her life and what advise she'd offer you.
- 200 "conversations" notes offer questions to reflect on as you read the Bible or talk it over with a friend or mentor.
- 200 "He is" call outs help you get to know God as He has revealed Himself in the Bible and show how who He is affects who you are.
- 300 "at issue" notes offer short, relevant teachings on a variety of life topics such as money, sex or pride
- Book introductions furnish essential background information for each book of the bible, including scannable facts, a central theme to keep in mind and thought provoking questions to consider as you read.
- Topical index unifies all the features of this Bible so you can find exactly what you're looking for in an instant.
- Articles give practical insights on mentoring relationships and how to develop a consistent quiet time.
- Today's New International Version: Timeless truths in today's language.
The women's one comes in a softcover version with pink and cream tulips; the men's in a robust leather combination of mahogany and oak. So what does that tell you about stereotypes? Wish they'd got the covers mixed up! There was also a FAITHGIRLZ version, but I resisted the urge to post it.
Question: When does a special edition Bible, complete with notes, directions how to read, pre-programmed menus of texts, imported social roles and values, etc, -------- when does such a Bible cease to be a Bible and become at best an interpretive grid, at worst a propaganda tool, that gets in the way of encountering the biblical text itself?